Overview according to restitution status
"Open cases" (6446 Objects)
Here you can find both objects which were indisputably seized on grounds related to National Socialism between 1933 and 1945 (e.g. acquisition via Vugesta [Gestapo Office for the Disposal of the Property of Jewish Emigrants] or Julius Fargel) and objects which were acquired between 1933 and 1945 or later, where their possible questionable nature is still to be resolved (e.g. acquisition from the Dorotheum from 1938-1945). (details)
- Seized during the National Socialist era (360 Objects) display of "Seized during the National Socialist era"
- Questionable nature to be resolved (6086 Objects) display of "Questionable nature to be resolved"
Examination completed (2583 Objects)
Here you can find the objects in the art database on which the committee in charge has decided positively (restitution) or negatively (to remain in the museum). The positive decisions are comprised of objects which have already been restituted, objects for which the former owners or their legal successors are being sought and objects which are to be handed over to the National Fund for utilization as the rightful recipients were unable to be traced. Details
- Restitution or handover recommended (2582 Objects)
- Owners or their legal successors are sought (2526 Objects) display of "Owners or their legal successors are sought"
- Restitution to owners or their legal successor has occurred (55 Objects) display of "Restitution to owners or their legal successor has occurred"
- No owners or their legal successors can be traced - utilization by the National Fund display of "No owners or their legal successors can be traced - utilization by the National Fund"
- Restitution not recommended (1 Objects) display of "Restitution not recommended"
Also found here are objects, the provenance of which was able to be resolved through research carried out by the museums themselves or by the Commission of Provenance Research, where it could be established that these objects were no longer considered to be of a questionable nature and need not be presented to a committee. In addition, new research results can render it necessary to resubmit a case which has already been concluded.
- Current research (0 Objects)
- Research completed (0 Objects)
- Change in the research status (0 Objects)